David Stern’s Press Conference Bullet Points
Posted by Matt on July 24, 2007
I just finished watching David Stern’s press conference regarding Tim Donaghy and the gambling crisis in the NBA. Just to simplify the hour+ and question and answer session, here are a few bullet points from what was said:
- The NBA was notified by the FBI on June 20, 2007 of the allegations that were beginning to surface but was told to keep quiet about it until further notice.
- The NBA was aware in January of 2005, however, of Mr. Donaghy’s possible personal issues including erratic behavior, anger-management problems, as well as possible gambling before becoming a referee.
- Tim Donaghy resigned on July 9, 2007 but Stern and the NBA wanted to take action on Mr. Donaghy sooner but was told by the FBI to keep quiet in order to aid the investigation.
- Stern called this the “most serious situation and worst situation” he has ever been involved with but claimed that with all of the resources available to him, he can say, with some confidence, that this is a completely “isolated situation.”
- Stern outlined the league’s policies (no gambling, etcetera) said that even if you do your best at securing the league, it may not stop wrong doing, especially if they’re as determined as Mr. Donaghy was; calling him a “rogue.”
- Stern stated that the NBA will do everything in its power to “assure the fans they are doing the best they possibly can” regarding looking back and analyzing games and fixing this problem.
- Stern said that the policies regarding referees will be more transparent in the future and that the referees will be graded more stringently.
- The league looked in to allegations that Donaghy bet in a casino in Atlantic City during this investigation and these allegations came up frivolous, on top of the fact that the NBA works closely with the Nevada Gaming Commission and Las Vegas odds-makers to observe any abnormal or erratic movement in betting lines that the NBA should be aware of. There is no sports gambling in Atlantic City, however.
- David Stern laid out his entire security system for the NBA to prove that the league was doing everything it could to prevent this and this wasn’t the fault of a systematic flaw.
Mixed emotions from analysts regarding David Stern’s comments as some are not satisfied (see: Skip Bayless, former referee Mike Mathis) with all of the points made by Stern saying he was too much on the defensive in trying to prove that this was not the fault of his security system.
More to come…
This entry was posted on July 24, 2007 at 12:40 PM and is filed under General Sports. Tagged: AUTHOR:MJ, NBA. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
2 Responses to “David Stern’s Press Conference Bullet Points”
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.